Cloud Security Needs and Myths Busted
We are a generation that has seen technology grow from a small Nokia 1011 to multiple companies offering smartphones. These smartphones can store years of photos, video call people on the other hemisphere, take pictures of the shooting stars, and what not! The ease of accessibility of everything is the result of eternal ambition and hunger to achieve the unachievable.
Today, I can work on my startup with my colleagues from different parts of the world. You can surprise your mom with her favorite designer bag straight from Milan. You can attend your dream job interview from your room or in the middle of a trek! The options are endless. The DevOps clan is deemed as the A-Team in today’s world. And why not? They have given us the products and services that have made all the difference! It has introduced not just a section of Software Development. It has helped establish a culture where engineers do not stop innovating until the optimum ease is reached.
Why do Cloud Platforms need Security?
Despite so many trust issues or Cloud Security Myths, organizations have not yet realized many things regarding Cloud security. The Cloud is not exactly an insecure platform. The security model has a relatively different structure than some of the other platforms available in the market. Hence, many new relationships need to be explained concerning data storage. Cloud data centers can be very secure, especially more secure than their traditional infrastructure.
When you have different enterprises storing their private data at your infrastructure. You are responsible for its Security. The Cloud is the locker for valuable data. Thus, it is mandatory to pay close attention to the security part along with the DevOps work.
Some Cloud Security myths busted!
- You Can’t Check How Your Data Is Being Used.
- With cloud security, organizations have to trust the individuals employed by service providers, along with their own employees. It’s easy to track what the in-house staff is doing. It gets difficult to monitor what third-party providers are doing with your data.
- However, service providers do furnish audit logs so that you know who has had access to your data. Providers can also show you that they carry out required background checks and have suitable clearance. This is a service that these companies offer; hence, do your check without hesitation, and don’t worry about Cloud Security Myths.
- Cloud and Compliance do not work well.
- Governments enforce several policies to make sure the data is safe and secure. However, people think making your Cloud compliant with several policies is a hassle. But the reality is most cloud service providers take responsibility for making your cloud workspace compliant, for example, HIPAA and PCA.
- Innovation suffers due to Security.
- This accelerated time to market, but it also may have introduced security gaps. DevOps functions on making everything more comfortable, whereas Security is based on creating constraints to make the functioning foolproof. However, Security is more like self-service. Gaping holes in Security can lead to further deceleration of the innovation process. This is a common myth that may have been perpetrated by a dynamic in which DevOps teams. The DevOps team may have turned to the public cloud because they couldn’t afford to wait for all the purchasing and deployment processes.
- Cloud security demands a whole new team.
- It is common in the industry that a successful cloud venture starts with a robust security system. Create a cloud-focused team from within your security organization workforce. Try not to give tasks to existing team members by figuring out what exactly cloud security means to your organization while still expecting them to continue with their regular day jobs. Make it crystal clear from the beginning that the team will eventually merge into the broader security team when organizational maturity meets your predefined requirements. Issue a mission statement that clearly addresses what success looks like with key milestones along the journey. Lastly, make the security team work in tandem with IT, support, DevOps teams. Only when all these teams will come together to contribute to their sub-divisions towards a common product or service will you build your best.
- My engineering college had several of my classmates investing time in learning about DevOps, knowing that it is extremely promising as a future. The library sounded like a mass typewriter marathon with all the coders busy with their laptops trying to get accustomed to the DevOps culture. During one such session, a group of DevOps fans got into talking with a cyber-security prodigy, Ryan.
- Often, developers let the thought of constraints slide away, not realizing innovation without safety is no good. Ryan was not new to the conversation where security is viewed as a villain in the Development sphere that tries to slow down or control the process of innovation. Ryan smiled and said, “Do you even know how to spell Security, the bro?” The geek version of “Do you even lift, bro?”
How can Cloudanix help?
At Cloudanix.com, we have simple to use tools to secure, monitor, baseline, and collaborate your AWS cloud and don’t worry about Cloud Security Myths. Any misconfiguration or suspected behavior gets alerted in real-time for your team members to respond to. We have a generous Free plan and you can always explore our other plans via 2 weeks of free trial. Give our free trial a spin now!
Know more about:
- What SMBs Owners need to know about Cloud Security?
- Cloud Security For Every User.
- DevOps clan is deemed as the A-Team in today’s world